Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The End of Fifty


Death Valley, 1849

A man named Robinson left this note tucked in a hymn book, discovered in a cave in 1998:

"My dear Edwin, Knowed now we should have gone arowned but am thankful to not be sick the agir cause others are worse ofen me. My last ox falled in his checks afor morn and I caint carry down the steep. The locket was your mahs. The boles and the wagon shrod were the preachers wife. I toted her youngen. If you shoulddove already seen my Lydia, tell her my heart beats with hers. Kindly leave me a half stake and my short gun. Ifen I dont raturn by end of fifty I wont never come. Lord be precious to your soul. William"

8 comments:

Ariel the Thief said...

did he return?

Ariel the Thief said...

that place looks like the desert Roland went through.

The Old Mule said...

I think he did not make it. Heart wrenching indeed.

That is tough land. I had enough trouble getting across there in my old truck.

btw - I like your new photo!

Doug The Una said...

That's some letter. It reminds me of the dead hunter from Jeremiah Johnson. I think I've hiked right near there.

Ariel the Thief said...

thanks!

Minka said...

Jeremiah Johnson sprang to mind too :)

Tough land, tough people...some or something´s gotta give!

Doug The Una said...

Mule, I once hiked without map or a good idea from Eureka Valley, through a pass my friends and I found with sandstone fourty feet high in places on both sides of a canyon no more than four feet across, down to Ubehebee crater in Death Valley and over to Titus canyon. One of my friends stepped on a rattlesnake and the other started talking about Byronic heroes. I asked what a bironiquero was. The one who laughed loudest was first on my list of whom to eat.

Ariel the Thief said...

I've always known cannibals are just offended story tellers.