Monday, August 20, 2007

Nan Cohen

Someone else's stroke of genius on a Monday.

"Girder" by Nan Cohen, from Rope Bridge.

--

Girder

The simplest of bridges, a promise
that you will go forward,

that you can come back.
So you cross over.

It says you can come back.
So you go forward.

But even if you come back
then you must go forward.

I am always either going back
or coming forward. There is always

something I have to carry,
something I leave behind.

I am a figure in a logic problem,
standing on one shore

with the things I cannot leave,
looking across at what I cannot have.

8 comments:

tsduff said...

"I am a figure in a logic problem,
standing on one shore

with the things I cannot leave,
looking across at what I cannot have."


Mule - Thank you for introducing Nan Cohen to me. You are MY Monday stroke of genius. Good post.

This particular line describes my dilemma perfectly (I want to move on with my life - but just can't seem to get my feet up all the way off the ground to get into the car)

Ariel the Thief said...

that promise says no true, you can never come back. but I understand it is easier to go forward with a promise that you can come back. I enjoyed the poem, was like playing a game.

Ariel the Thief said...

Terry, hop in, I'll drive you. I promise you can come back. ;-)

Anonymous said...

So true this poem. Everything's on the other side of the bridge - whichever side.

Nothing about standing in the middle and looking down I see.

Doug The Una said...

A chicken, a fox and a bag of wheat.

Minka said...

I think with strong arms and placid waters, the distance can be crossed without too much loss of self. Youc an always look backwards, memory might play tricks, but the past hardly ever disapears...it's the other shore you have to get to, touch the sand, smell the trees and gatehr firewood!

Doug The Una said...

I picked up my bag, went looking for a place to hide,
When I saw old Carmen and the devil, walking side by side.
I said "Hey, Carmen- Come on let's go downtown"
She said "I got to go but my friend can stick around."

The Old Mule said...

very funny, Doug!