Thursday, May 3, 2007

Permian Fate






Muir (below) and Galen Clark -- they both drew in to the high sierra range, stretched meadows and glacial ruts; riparian lull, sequoia trees. Sheer rock. Yosemite. This was the middle 1800's and train tracks were just stretching across America.

Muir was a Scotsman, a keen observer with a bent toward science and an eye for how things came to be. Good with the pen. Clark was a roustabout in old boots and worn leather. He was one of the first white men to venture in to Wawona, the giant redwood grove. The Mariposas. Both men carried solid walking sticks and, I feel certain, a bitter drive to keep the un-thoughtful from tearing the place apart. It still stands.

I feel fortunate to have the opportunity to see the place for myself. I can't recall being more excited for a trip. I will take a clean writing pad, a couple changes of socks, and my hat. Be well. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

Doug The Una said...

Good luck, Old Mule. You're going to the most beautiful place I know. To avoid bears at bedtime, throw a rope over a strong tree branch and pull yourself up.

puppytoes said...

have a beautiful trip, Old Mule. i spent manymany hours/days/weeks in that area in my youth (camping and/or skiing at Badger Pass) -- Doug's right, it's spectacular. to avoid bears, take a gun. (kidding, i kid) that said, i don't recommend leaving any cans laying about, my sister and her husband did that once by accident (they were camping near Wawona, in fact) and had a mighty close encounter with a couple of beady-eyed bears. needless to say, the bears weren't the only things sh*tting in the woods that night. xox neva

The Old Mule said...

Doug, as my professor in college told me before a final exam: "You all are going to need a whole lot more than luck".

puppytoes, thanks for the kind words. I look forward to regaling you both with photos.

Minka said...

I bet you have left by now...but good lucks travel by airwaves...so stay out of close encounters and many insirtaions to your head, strength to your wrist to move that pencil.
Here is to a filled notebook and clan socks!

Ariel the Thief said...

what does the name Wawona mean? have a wonderful trip! don't forget to keep breathing when you see those unbelievable trees!!

tsduff said...

Lovely place. John Muir is my hero - took my grandson to Muir's historic home and ranch a few Earth Day's ago. It is a fabulous old house on a hill, restored and beautiful. The fruit and nut orchards below, along with beehives, an outdoor kiln for bread baking... all the plants and imported natural trees and bushes make a nice day visit.

Anyway, enjoy the great sierra beauty.