Friday, May 25, 2007

Carolina Gold



It is Friday, late May. That means it is time to go to our farm near the South Carolina coast and check on the rice crop. The seedlings are about five inches tall now, and if all goes well we should have a wonderful crop this year. This is not normal rice, though. We are one of three small farms that are producing this heirloom variety of aromatic rice. So, what I am getting at is this: I am off to plod around in the mud and beat back mosquitoes.

I like this a lot:

by Kathleen Jamie, from Waterlight: Selected Poems.

Suitcases


Piled high in a corner of second-hand store
in Toronto: of course,
it's an immigrant country. Sometimes

all you can take is what you can carry
when you run: a photo, some clothes,
and the useless dead-weight

of your mother tongue.
One was repaired
with electrician's tape—a trade

was all a man needed. A girl,
well, a girl could get married. Indeed
each case opened like an invitation:

the shell-pink lining, the knicker—
like pockets you hook back
with a finger to look

for the little linked keys.
I remember how each held a wraith
of stale air, and how the assistant seemed

taken aback by my accent;
by then, though, I was headed for home,
bored, and already pregnant.

11 comments:

Ariel the Thief said...

then you sell them shipfull all over the world. I love these pictures very much.

what does aromatic rice smell like?

The Old Mule said...

It will be a while before we fill a ship! I should have stressed, we are a *small* farm.

It has a distinct nutty / sweet smell. Very delicious to eat. I will send anyone a bag who cares to give it a try.

Minka said...

Hey, I am off to the farm as well. Ours has horses and I´ll guess I spend the majority of this rather longish weekend, in the stables with a shovel. Oh and try to fight off three little nephews that think it is far more exciting to ride on my back rather than the horses. Go figure?!

puppytoes said...

*raises hand* me! me! i'll try it!

sounds like hard work... have fun! by the way, citronella works well on mosquitoes -- at least for me, it does. decidely less carcinogenic than Deet, which is, of course, a bonus. ; ) xox neva

Doug The Una said...

Is that the Merrimack?

That's pretty cool, Mule.

Anonymous said...

Happy farming!

Mona said...

That seems exotic ! Time spend with aromatic rice!!...Earthy & ethnic imagery!

& mosquitoes...boy! you can't beat them here in India :D

The Old Mule said...

minka, yes, I will be fighting nephews too. The always squirt me with the hose.

neva, you got it! Now let's just hope for rain.

mago, thanks indeed. I enjoy the escape of it all.

mona, thank you for stopping by all the way from India!

krystyna said...

Hi!
and thanks for visited my humble place.
You have wonderful blog.
I like to eat all kind of rice.

Have a great weekend!

Jamie Dawn said...

Plodding around in the mud sounds like fun.
Fighting mosquitoes doesn't sound so fun.

Good smelling, good tasting rice...
Sounds yummy! Pass the soy sauce, please.

Keshi said...

wow ur amazing! I'd love to try waht u do too :)

Keshi.